Photograph @ Marc Boseret
Belgium is best known for its chocolate, waffles, fries and beer and
considered as the national dish of Belgium
Hmm.. I personally love fries
Just imagine a night out in the cold and then feel the warmth in your hands from the hot bag of fries you’ve just bought.
Ok ok ... back to reality, I have looked around for the
secret recipe (it available online though)
Step by step
1. Peel the potatoes and cut it into strips around 10mm thick.
2. Rinse these raw fries in cold water to remove the excess starch and dry them thoroughly.
3. Pre-frying stage: gently lower the fries into the fat, heated to 150°C, and leave them to swim for 4-5 minutes. During this stage the raw potato will be cooked without turning brown.
4. Once the fries have started ‘singing’ – they will bubble to the surface – gently lift and shake them
5. Pre-fried fries now be spread out and cooled down for at least half-a-hour
6. Heat the fat to 180°C. Gently lower the pre-cooked fries into the fat for a few minutes. They will start to sing after two or three minutes, then remove them and shake off the fat.
Note: Precooking takes some of the moisture out of the potato. If the oil is too hot, the potato sticks will burn and the moisture has no means of escape, producing soggy fries.
2nd Fried makes them deliciously crispy.